Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Colorblock Necklace- February Challenge Day 1

[Colorblock Necklace]
 Necklace One is complete! I'm so excited about this piece. When collecting vintage jewelry and bits and pieces, sometimes I buy something I like but don't have any clue what to do with. Other times, I find something and know immediately what I want to make. This necklace started as one and ended as the latter.

I recently bought a strand of multicolored vintage lucite beads, unsure of how to use them but I never pass up gorgeous lucite beads. Then a friend who also makes jewelry (check out her work!) gave me this necklace to cut up and remake. 

[Okay, I didn't take a picture before I cut it open. You get the general idea.]

Pretty cool, right? But also a little boring. I knew it needed more color and less symmetry. I love the colorblocking trend that is going on so I made a colorblock necklace. I used the vintage lucite beads, the necklace from Sydney and one extra awesome rock shaped teal bead that I found long long ago (it's the awesome rock shaped teal one below.)

[Random rock shaped bead really makes this necklace]

 Oh, what's that, you ask? Did I overachieve and make earrings too? Yes. Yes, I did. Both the earrings and the necklace are listed on Etsy. Perfect to add color to any outfit you wear on a rainy day like we're having here.

A Necklace A Day will continue all of February. See all the daily necklaces here. I'm joined in this challenge by a fellow East Bay Arts Collective member, Gwen of Gwen Harlow Design who will be crafting and blogging as well. If you'd like to join the challenge, email me at kat.mceachern (at) gmail dot com.

1 comment:

blue roses said...

lucite! turquoise! gimme, gimme! i love this piece! necklace challenge is off to a great start. so pumped!

xoxo.