Wednesday, April 14, 2010

gold rush

Last night I meet up with a friend at The Belvidere at Broad. As I sat at the bar to wait for my friend, I heard a man two seats down ordering a drink that had whiskey, lemon juice and honey. The bartender recommended using the bar's homemade ginger-honey syrup. I immediate asked to be in on the experiement. Whiskey double gingers are my favorite drink to make, and the honey/lemon added new complexities. I will definitely try to make this drink on my own, and be back at The Belvidere to have it again. An appoximation of the recipe is below, based a recipe I found online and the changes we made.

GOLD RUSH

Juice from half a lemon

3/4 oz ginger-honey syrup

2 oz bourbon

Spritz of club soda

Combine first three ingredients in cocktail shaker. Fill ice and shake hard, about 6-7 times. Pour into a rocks glass and top with club soda.

A quick note about The Belvidere, I really liked this place. It was nicely decorated and very friendly. The food was tasty, I had the roast chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries. The fries were great, though they didn't come with aoili which would have been nice. I just asked for mayo and was happy with that. The roast chicken itself was the standout, very juicy. The bartender was very attentive throughout the night so I'll definitely be back for food and just for drinks.

No comments: