Tuesday, March 9, 2010

cupcake craze

A lot of people are over the 'cupcake trend' and I admit that most cupcake places are overprices and oversugared. That doesn't stop my love of cupcakes, however. I've been craving cupcakes for months but didn't own cupcake pans. I was about to crack and buy some when they were on sale at the grocery store! Yes! So I bought regular and mini sized pans.

I knew exactly what I wanted to make. Chocolate cupcakes with raspberry jam filling and vanilla cream cheese frosting. Thanks to the amazing women at Big Girls Small Kitchen I found the perfect recipes for the cake and icing. I think I overbaked just a tad but the icing adds enough moisture back that it's okay. Stuffing the cupcakes was the trickiest part and while they didn't come out tasty, I think they will be eaten all up just fine. Any hints on filling cupcakes would be much appreciated. I just cut little slits in and shoved the jam down, but the more they cooled the harder that got. The jam mixed into the icing a bit on some of the 'cakes.


Photo quality's not so great due to my rush to eat one! I love the big cupcake with the jam hidden inside and the little baby cake next to it with a dab of jam sweetly on top.

No comments: